Friday, April 29, 2011

Guest Blog from Sarah Ellis: Fresh To NYC & Back

This month our  Guest columnist comes to us from across the pond in England. Sarah Ellis is a writer for Inside Soap in the UK and is a BIG fan of our pancakes as you will see! Oh and she did not attend the royal weeding as is her invite was lost in the mail...Sad but true.

Going to New York for the first time is a bit of a surreal experience. Although it’s on the other side of the world to England, everything about it is familiar, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s grown up watching it on TV and in the movies. From the moment I touched down at JFK, I already had a lot of preconceptions about what my time in the world’s busiest city would be like.

One thing I had learned from seeing this infamous city so much on both the big and small screen was that there’s a lot of food to be eaten in the Big Apple! I’d been led to believe that all New Yorkers eat at McDonalds and drink Starbucks, so I had visions that my entire trip was going to be spent gorging out on junk food, followed by weeks of starvation when I got home to make up for it (just kidding – I like my cake too much!)

On our first morning in the city, we set out in search of breakfast. Being four English girls in New York we already knew what we wanted to eat – pancakes! After all, that’s what everyone eats for brekkie (breakfast in America) across the pond, right? Thankfully, just two blocks down from our hotel we stumbled upon a glorious little eatery called Fresh and Co. Not only did it have a counter full of delicious looking cakes (you may have guessed I’ve got a sweet tooth), but it was serving up pancakes for breakfast. Hurrah!

One of my favorite things about Fresh and Co was that we could stand and watch the store’s chefs whip up our pancakes right before our eyes, so we knew they were truly fresh. And the fruit on top was always ripe and juicy, making me feel good that I was getting one of my five a day along with my lovely fluffy pancakes.

After that first day, Fresh and Co quickly became our favorite place to eat in town – in fact, nowhere else got a look-in! We loved their freshly prepared sandwiches and salads. It was great to know we could pick up some freshly made, healthy food while on the go without having to resort to the traditional holiday diet of greasy burgers and fries. Best of all, I could even get a decent cup of tea there, which definitely got the thumbs up from me.

I’m heading back to NYC again this summer with my friends, and you can bet that Fresh and Co will be our first stop – before we’ve even unpacked our bags! 



No comments:

Post a Comment